This rouladen recipe comes from my Grandma Mary’ and it’s childhood favourite.
Skinny slices of beef are rolled with a little bit of mustard, bacon, onions, and a dill pickle! The meat rolls are slow-roasted and served with a wealthy brown gravy.
This dish has an old style, hearty taste with melt-in-your-mouth tender beef. Serve with mashed potatoes or cooked macaroni like my grandma all the time did.
Simply one of many most interesting consolation meals of all time! Beef rouladen is a German dish that my Polish grandmother and my mother made typically.
Rouladen has skinny slices of beef which are brushed with mustard after which wrapped with bacon, onion, and dill pickle earlier than sluggish cooking. It’s served with a wealthy brown gravy.
The acidity from the pickle tenderizes the meat and provides numerous taste together with the bacon.
Components for Rouladen
- Beef – Select skinny slices of prime spherical steak or flank steak, 8 to 10-inches lengthy, 4.5- inches vast, and ¼-inch thick. In my space, I discover beef labeled “Rouladen” or you possibly can ask the butcher to thinly slice steaks. If utilizing spherical steaks you could have to layer two to get a 10-inches in size.
- Mustard – My grandma all the time unfold ready yellow mustard on the meat, though Dijon mustard is nice too.
- Bacon – Use raw bacon, it provides taste and retains the meat moist.
- Onion – Thinly sliced yellow onion is added to every roll.
- Pickle – Our household makes use of dill pickles within the middle of the rouladen.
- Gravy – This recipe makes use of beef broth with a little bit of dill pickle juice. My mother all the time added a can of mushrooms with the juices so I add them in as properly. The juices are later used to make the sauce or gravy for serving.
Whereas some recipes add a little bit of purple wine, my Grandma stored it easy. You may add additional onions to the gravy and a rib of celery and carrot for those who’d like for taste. Discard the carrot/celery earlier than thickening the gravy.
Tips on how to Make Rouladen
- Gently pound the meat to tenderize (per the recipe beneath).
- High with mustard, bacon, and onions, and roll round an entire dill pickle, safe with a toothpick, or tie with cooking twine.
- Brown the surface in a Dutch oven or pan. Add broth and a splash of pickle juice. Both roast or simmer the rouladen till fork tender.
- Thicken the juices with flour or a cornstarch slurry to make gravy.
Tips on how to Serve Rouladen
My mother all the time served rouladen on prime of elbow macaroni with numerous gravy.
This beef rouladen recipe additionally pairs properly with braised red cabbage (rotkohl).
To Freeze Rouladen
Beef rouladen may be ready and the rolls may be frozen both earlier than or after cooking. Merely put together as directed, place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze. As soon as frozen, switch to a freezer bag or air-tight container.
To get pleasure from from frozen, thaw within the fridge in a single day and cook dinner as directed within the recipe.
Rouladen tastes nice the following day! It makes an ideal work-day lunch over mashed potatoes and even cauliflower rice! It’s also possible to chop up the rouladen and add the gravy to a soup!
Did your loved ones love this Beef Rouladen? Depart us a ranking and a remark beneath!
This traditional German dish is made with thinly sliced beef lined with mustard, bacon, onions, and rolled round a dill pickle!
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Place the meat slices on a reducing board and gently pound with a meat tenderizer to ¼-inch thickness.
Unfold a skinny layer of mustard over every slice and season with salt and pepper.
Add a slice of bacon to every piece of beef and prime with onions and a dill pickle.
Roll every rouladen jelly-roll fashion and safe with toothpicks or kitchen twine.
In a Dutch oven, warmth the butter over medium warmth. Add the meat rolls and brown on either side.
Add the meat broth to the Dutch oven, scraping up any brown bits within the backside of the pan. Add the canned mushrooms with juices if utilizing and ¼ cup pickle juice (and additional onions if desired). Cowl and roast 90-120 minutes or till fork-tender.
To Make Gravy
Switch the rouladen to a plate and canopy with foil to maintain heat, leaving the juices within the Dutch oven.
Warmth juices over medium-high warmth till boiling, ensuring to scrape up any brown bits. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of chilly water. Slowly add the cornstarch combination to the boiling broth whereas whisking to attain the specified thickness. You might not want all the cornstarch combination.
Serve Rouladen over mashed potatoes or elbow macaroni with gravy.
I want to roast cook dinner beef rouladen within the oven however it may be lined and gently simmered on the range for about 45-55 minutes or till tender.
Retailer leftovers in a lined container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat within the oven or within the microwave till heated via.
Energy: 153 | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 1112mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 177IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg
Vitamin data supplied is an estimate and can fluctuate based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.