That is the one lemon meringue pie recipe you’ll ever want!
A buttery selfmade pie crust is crammed with sweet-tart lemon curd, and all topped off with a fluffy toasted meringue.
It takes slightly time, however this pie is a masterpiece and comparatively straightforward to make!
We Love Lemon Meringue Pie!
- Nothing says love like a selfmade pie comprised of scratch!
- This recipe has plenty of straightforward suggestions and a video that ensures pie perfection each time!
- That is the good retro recipe for spending a day within the kitchen with a buddy or member of the family, crafting a cool and refreshing selfmade lemon meringue pie!
- In case you’re a lemon lover like myself, you may wish to try these Blueberry Lemon Bread or this No Bake Lemon Cheesecake, too!
Elements for Lemon Meringue Pie
Crust – This recipe makes use of actual butter for nice taste and a flaky pie crust. Be to make use of chilly butter. In fact, pre-made or frozen pie crusts or graham-cracker crusts can be utilized as effectively.
Lemon Filling – If utilizing recent lemons for juice; medium-sized lemons yield about 4 tablespoons of juice to equal ¼ cup (and 1 tablespoon of zest). When unsure, get additional! The zest provides plenty of lemon taste so don’t skip this half!
Meringue – A wonderfully fluffy meringue that holds its form is simple to make. Any quantity of oil, fats or egg yolk will preserve the eggs from beating correctly so guarantee your bowl and mixer are clear. Room-temperature egg whites will carry out higher and faster than chilly whites.
A few tricks to juice and zest a lemon:
Zest – The important thing to zesting is to take away solely the yellow a part of the lemon pores and skin, because the white pith beneath may be bitter. Use a zester, a microplane grater, or the best aspect of a field grater. Usually, you’ll get about 1 tablespoon of zest from every lemon.
Juice – To get essentially the most juice out of your lemons, guarantee they’re at room temperature. In case your lemon has been refrigerated, merely microwave it for about 15 seconds earlier than juicing.
Place the lemon on the counter and, utilizing the heel of your hand, roll it whereas making use of stress. Lower the lemon in half and use a reamer or a fork to squeeze and twist, releasing the juice.
Find out how to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
For the Crust
- Lower the chilled butter into the crust components per the recipe beneath. Add a little bit of chilly water to kind a dough.
- Roll out the crust, match right into a pie plate
- Bake till gentle golden brown. Let cool.
For the Filling
- Whisk the lemon curd components (per the recipe beneath) in a saucepan over medium warmth till thickened.
- Take away from warmth and stir in butter.
- Pour lemon filling into the baked pie crust.
For the Meringue Topping
- Cook dinner cornstarch and water over medium warmth till thick.
- Beat egg whites and sugar till shiny stiff peaks kind.
- Stir within the cornstarch combination and prime the pie.
Bake the Pie
- Unfold meringue over scorching pie filling and canopy utterly all the way in which round.
- Bake till the peaks on the meringue are gentle golden brown.
- Cool pie on a wire rack earlier than chilling utterly within the fridge.
Suggestions for Good Lemon Meringue Pie
- You’ll want to deal with the pie crust as little as doable to forestall the warmth out of your fingers from melting the butter and chill the dough earlier than rolling it out. Poke the underside of the crust with a fork to maintain it from effervescent up.
- When blind baking the crust, add a chunk of parchment paper and fill it with dry beans or pie weights.
- Use clear (oil-free) and dry beaters and a bowl when making meringue. Any quantity of oil or egg yolk will preserve the egg whites from getting fluffy.
- Superfine sugar will dissolve quicker in each the lemon filling and meringue.
- Make sure the meringue touches the perimeters of the crust all the approach round or it could draw back from the crust.
- If utilizing pre-made lemon pie filling, warmth it within the microwave earlier than pouring it into the pie shell. The filling should be scorching when the meringue is unfold excessive.
Storing Lemon Meringue Pie
- Maintain leftover lemon meringue pie within the fridge for as much as 2 days lined flippantly in plastic wrap.
- The pie crust may be baked as much as a day early so it’s cooled sufficient for the filling. Double up on this pie crust recipe and preserve it within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
- Lemon meringue pie may be frozen (technically, ANY pie may be frozen), however because of the corn starch within the filling and the character of the meringue, it is not going to thaw effectively so it’s not really useful.
Did your loved ones love this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe? Go away us a remark and a ranking beneath!
Lemon Meringue Pie
This Lemon Meringue Pie recipe is cool, creamy, and tangy with an ideal cloud of toasted meringue on prime!
For the Crust
In a medium bowl, stir collectively the flour, sugar, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or fork to chop in chilled butter till it reaches pea-sized chunks.
Steadily add in chilly water, stirring every time till the dough may be pressed collectively. Type it right into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at the very least 2 hours, or freeze for half-hour till chilled.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Frivolously flour your floor and use a rolling pin to roll a 12-inch circle. Linee a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry.
Gently press into the pie plate and over the perimeters. Trim the perimeters and crimp as desired. Poke the underside and the perimeters with the tines of a fork throughout to assist forestall puffing (or line pie crust with parchment and use pie weights when you’ve got them).
Bake for 12-Quarter-hour or till the pie crust is baked by and light-weight golden brown. Put aside when you make the filling.
For the Filling
In a medium saucepan, whisk collectively the sugar, water, corn starch, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Cook dinner over medium to medium-high warmth, whisking continually till the combination involves a boil and thickens. It will likely be barely thicker than pudding. This will take 10-Quarter-hour, however do not rush it. As soon as thickened, take away from warmth and stir in butter.
Pour scorching filling into the pie crust, put aside and put together the meringue.
For the Meringue
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a small saucepan, whisk collectively the water and corn starch. Cook dinner over medium warmth till thickened and clear. Put aside however preserve heat.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or a clear bowl with clear beaters, beat egg whites, vanilla and salt till delicate peaks kind.
Steadily add within the sugar, beating till stiff shiny peaks kind.
Steadily add within the heat corn starch combination, beating continually, till utterly integrated and meringue is gentle and fluffy and holds stiff peaks.
Unfold meringue onto scorching pie filling (it is vital that the filling remains to be scorching!) and unfold proper to the sting of the pie crust. The meringue should contact the perimeters all the way in which round.
Bake at 375°F for 5-8 minutes or simply till the tops of the meringue are gentle golden brown — do not overbake.
Let relaxation on the counter on a wire rack for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate for 5-6 hours till chilled, or in a single day.
Slice and serve.
Maintain leftover lemon meringue pie lined within the fridge for as much as 2 days.
Energy: 467 | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 16g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 63mg | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1.2mg
Diet data offered is an estimate and can differ based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Lemon Meringue Pie is greatest loved shortly after getting ready, nevertheless it does have to be refrigerated to set. I prefer to make this pie the day earlier than, then chill in a single day uncovered. It slices simply however remains to be recent. Leftovers may be saved on the counter for a few hours, however will finally have to be refrigerated. Your pastry will not be fairly as flaky the following day, however it would nonetheless be scrumptious!
In case you’re in a pinch, you should use a store-bought lemon filling or perhaps a store-bought refrigerated pie crust to save lots of your self a while. The vital factor is that your filling is scorching when your meringue goes on, which prevents weeping.
This pie may be served both room temperature or chilled.